A criminal background check is now required for all initial
applicants, from a source approved by the South Carolina Real Estate
Commission pursuant to SC Code Section 40-57-115. The law currently reads as follows:
SC Code 40-57-115. Criminal background checks required for initial applicants.
addition to other requirements established by law and for the purpose
of determining an applicant's eligibility for licensure as a salesman,
broker, broker-in-charge, property manager, and property
manager-in-charge, the commission shall require initial applicants to
submit to a state criminal records check, by a source approved by the
commission, and a national criminal records check. Costs of conducting a
criminal records check must be borne by the applicant. The commission
shall keep information received pursuant to this section confidential,
except that information relied upon in denying licensure my be disclosed
as necessary to support the administrative action.
Instructions on obtaining a criminal records check for licensure:
1. Use the link: www.srandi.com and select GET STARTED.
2. Select the Affiliate Tab.
3. Enter the Affiliate Code: R52SG9
4. Review the Real Estate Commission's requirements as listed on the screen.
5. Enter the required information to conduct your background check.
6. Enter your address history, including current and former addresses.
7. Enter your driver's license information.
8. Read and e-sign your release form.
9. Submit your payment information. They take Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover Cards. The cost is $40
Review your payment and create an account. Print the Release Form for
your own copy. Create a log in to obtain a copy of your background
check once completed by SR&I.
11. Wait three days. Once your
report is ready, go to www.srandi.com and select Get Started. Use the
Log In field to get a copy of your report.
The Real Estate
Commission now requires you to submit a completed background check from
this one place, SR&I. They won't accept a background check from
YOU CANNOT APPLY FOR YOUR LICENSE EXAMINATION
UNTIL YOU HAVE COMPLETED THE BACKGROUND CHECK. IT MUST BE SUBMITTED WITH
YOUR APPLICATION, ALONG WITH YOUR CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION FROM YOUR
REAL ESTATE, BROKER OR PROPERTY MANAGEMENT CLASS.